This dish was a favorite of mine growing up. Ours was slightly less accessorized than this version. Our chipotle ranch came out of a squeeze bottle, and we tossed it by putting it in a plastic garbage bag and shaking the s#*t out of it. We aptly called it “White Trash Salad.”
These days we try to class it up a little more. Soooo… We leave out the garbage bag.
We also gave you a homemade chipotle ranch (which lowers this to about -10 on the authentic Mexican food scale) to make this dish a little more unique. We dare you to not try to slather this on everything after you taste it. This dish could also easily be a main course with a little seasoned turkey, ground beef, grilled chicken or flank steak.
- 2 heads of iceberg lettuce, coarsely chopped and washed
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- chipotle ranch, recipe below
- 3/4 cup cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- tortilla chips
Combine all ingredients in large bowl and dress with chipotle ranch to taste. Serve in individual bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips.
makes 3 cups
- 3 cups sour cream
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 packet Ranch Dip seasoning
- juice of one lime (about 3 tablespoons)
* We bought a can of chipotle peppers in adobo and fished out five of them and reserved the rest for another use.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and blended. Refrigerating dressing will intensify flavors. Keeps up to 1 week in an airtight container in refrigerator.